Saturday, 23rd March 2013 at 8:30pm
Mark your calendars peeps! Earth Hour will be taking place on Saturday, 23rd March 2013 at 8.30pm. We request everyone in Hong Kong to do their part and support this global cause by simply switching off their lights for just one hour. Not asking for much, are we?
Earth Hour is not only about switching the lights off for an hour, it is a continuous movement driving real actions to save the planet we live in.
Help WWF spread the word about Earth Hour in three simple steps.
1) Log on to wwf.org.hk/earthhour
2) Sign up
Here are some simple and effective steps that will not only help reduce our energy consumption, but also help reduce those monthly electricity bills that pinch our pockets!
- Keep the temperature of your fridge at a constant 3°C. Every degree that you lower, the fridge temperature will increase its energy consumption by 5 percent.
- Put a bottle of water in an empty fridge to keep things cold so the refrigerator does not have to work as hard.
- Reduce cooking times.
- Reduce the temperature of the water heater from 60°C to 49°C in warm weather.
- Use exterior shading devices or plants to shade rooms from direct sunlight.
- Use energy-efficient laptops, as they consume up to 80 percent less electricity than desktop PCs.
- Use a tablet computer for easy work instead of laptop computer.
- Turn off WiFi, GPS, 3G and other data network connection of your mobile phone when not in use.