IIFA (International Indian Film Academy) made its debut in 2000 at The Millennium Dome in London. I am sure that viewers still remember Amitabh Bachchan, the brand ambassador of IIFA at that time, delivering the inaugural address in his trademark style and winning over the audience which comprised of international stars such as Angelina Jolie and Jackie Chan. Since then, IIFA has travelled around the world enthralling the viewers from exotic locations such as Malaysia, South Africa, Netherlands, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Dubai and Singapore. The credit for visualizing and producing this annual Bollywood extravaganza goes mainly to Wizcraft International Entertainment Private Ltd, one of the best event management companies in India.
With awards in three categories – popular, technical and special, IIFA remains committed to honoring excellence in Indian cinema and promoting our movies across the world. The general public gets to decide the winners in the popular category through voting. Though the actual event was a single day occasion when it started in 2000, it soon grew into a three-day affair with many activities such as acting and music workshops, fashion shows, parties and press conferences. The live telecasts, awesome performances, lavish sets and glamorous stars makes IIFA a must-watch for all Bollywood fans every year!
A few facts and figures about IIFA
IIFA’s role in promoting Indian films around the world is evident from the fact that the sale of tickets for Hindi movies rose by 35 percent in the UK in six months after the awards made its first appearance there. Its role in promoting tourism in the host countries cannot be denied either. Did you know that the number of Indian visitors to Malaysia also rose by 35 percent after IIFA?
The Technical Awards for the 14th edition of IIFA to be held in our very own Macau this year between 4th to 6th July has already been announced. Anurag Basu’s Barfi emerged the winner with 9 awards to its credit.
Ranbir Kapoor and Vidya Balan walked away with the honors last year for ‘Rockstar’ and ‘Dirty Picture’ respectively. Both have been nominated again this year in the best actors’ categories. Will they repeat their success this year? Let’s wait and watch!
- The inaugural event of IIFA in 2000 also saw Amitabh Bachchan honored as the first Indian film star to have a wax statue at Madame Tussad’s Wax Museum.
- IIFA was honored with a certificate by the South African government for outstanding contribution towards making the country a popular tourist destination.
- In 2006, IIFA won the award for the Best International Global Event in South Asia for the program hosted in Dubai.
- The forthcoming edition of IIFA awards is dedicated to 100 years of Indian cinema.
- Madhuri Dixit will be a part of IIFA celebrations for the first time this year at the event in Macau.
- Sridevi and Prabhudeva are to showcase a special performance at Macau in which the two superstars will have a face-off. Now is that going to be awesome or not?!!