- FREE TICKETS CONTEST: Da-Bang Tour (Salman Khan in HK) – Hong KongPosted 2 days ago
- Revel Events Bollywood Night in HKPosted 4 days ago
- Win 2 FREE Tickets to SORABH PANT Live in HKPosted 5 days ago
- A La Mode Luxury Pop-Up Shop In Hong KongPosted 1 week ago
- India By The Bay – Festival of India in Hong Kong 2017Posted 2 months ago
- Soap Recycling to Help Save Children’s LivesPosted 2 months ago
- Zero Point by Riyaaz: An Evening of LIVE Indian Music with a Twist!Posted 4 months ago
13 InterContinental Hotels to open in India
The InterContinental Hotel Group (IHG) has recently revealed it’s plan to open up 13 new Hotels all over India. They already have 13 hotels in India with another 21 in the pipeline. The first IHG hotel opened in India in 1962, in Delhi. Since then the group has been expanding throughout India, focussing on tourist and business attracting cities like Pune, Chennai, Goa and Ahemdabad. IHG includes hotel brands like InterContinental, Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn Express and Holiday Inn Hotel & Resorts.
The growth of middle class in India has been the main reason for the success of mid-scale hotels like the Holiday Inn Express and Holiday Inn. Their has been improvement in the quality of life of the middle class in India and also increase in spending power. This combination has made the mid scale hotels in India very popular and the rooms sought after. Domestic business travel has also increased substantially and hotels like Holiday Inn Express provide a good value for business travellers. There were over 850 million domestic trips taken by the Indians last year and mostly by the middle class. 85% of the hotels IGH is opening is marketed to that sector, the mid market. However, currently only 15% of all rooms in India cater to that market.
As India is becoming more and more popular tourist destination, recruitment is becoming a big challenge for the hospitality industry, including for IGH. Apart from bringing in internationally experienced staff to work with the Indian trainees, they are also working with local educational institutions to provide training in hospitality. At the moment IHG has 9 academy programmes with local institutions in cities like Delhi, Pune, Bangalore and Mumbai. Every year more and more fresh graduates from the hospitality industry are joining IHG. With the expansion, IHG also will create 2600 more jobs in addition to the 3400 already working with them.